meaning of "enjoy the silence"

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Postby dmtv » Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:07 am

I am working on a tv program for VH1 called "Behind the Song: Enjoy the Silence". There are many interpretations of the song and I am curious to hear from the fans what you think the song is about? Image
dmtv

Postby pox09 » Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:32 am

Dmtv: if it helps:

Enjoy The Silence Analysis

pox09

Postby OrochiSonic » Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:28 am

you work for vh1? that's cool!
OrochiSonic

Postby radio1328 » Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:26 am

I think it means that after years of flaunting on stage in front of big, loud stacks of speakers, DM are going deaf. But they've made so much damn money and have so many adoring fans that the lack of hearing ability is worthwhile.

No, wait, it's about the deaf dude from the Who.
radio1328

Postby kkang » Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:29 am

Maybe it's just me, but I always thought that Enjoy the Silence was one of the more obvious songs of depeche.
kkang
DMMB Survivor

Postby necroman » Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:46 am

yeah...found it obvoius too

"don't say anything...it will ruin the moment"

It has a sense of urgency to it....like knowing things won't last as the way they're going, so you want to freeze time!

IMO
necroman

Postby ceruleansun » Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:04 am

love the song--wondering why VH1 all of a sudden cares Image
ceruleansun
DMMB Survivor

Postby strange little girl » Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:32 am

Someone once suggested to me that it was about a controlling lover who wants to seduce his partner. To keep her from questioning his actions and intentions he uses this song which on the surface seems nice but conceals malignant intentions.

I like ETS and don't necessarily agree with this interpretation but I have to admit I can find evidence to support it. Dave sings it in such a persuasive, lulling way that it's easy to imagine him as a smooth talking guy out for a one night stand with someone who wants more.

Personally I always thought it was funny how there's this guy singing about how he wants peace and quiet and is trying to convince his lover not to ruin the moment with words when he is in fact the one breaking the silence with his song.

My friend is teaching me sign language and whenever I want to practice I sign "enjoy the silence" to her.
strange little girl
DMMB Survivor

Return to Depeche Mode Related