Very Quick Questions

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Very Quick Questions

Postby member » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:54 pm

This may be on some other formum post but there are a lot on this site. I was told by the moderator of another site that I should post a new thread for a new topic. So anyway, I recently started getting into DM's music and I notice that there seems to be alot of sort of spiritual elements to their music. On the other hand though, there seems to be some S&m references at least in their early music. Is this something they are into? Is this band religious or something? (It does not matter to me, either way.)
DMMB Survivor

Postby piggymirror » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:57 am

These are private matters, and I guess we can only toy with these ideas.

Anyway, they don´t necessarily have to be anything else but words.
I don´t care about the sexual life of anybody else that isn´t going to bed with me, but if someone felt like putting it into lyrics and it happened to be Martin Gore, well, I like his wrinting style.

And yes, in Martin´s lyrics there´s always (well, mny times) an up&down kind of story, lots of chains, domination, shackled and bound people, people putting it on, and so on.
piggymirror
DMMB Survivor

Postby piggymirror » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:59 am

Sorry, bad typing: wrinting=writing
piggymirror
DMMB Survivor

Postby Rhianna » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:33 am

Martin Gore writes most of the lyrics, and all
of the lyrics earlier on in the band's career. He is spiritual, no doubt about it. He's not necessarily religious, in a traditional sense. He likes/liked to toy with "darker" themes, like s&m, in certain songs like "Master and Servant," "Dressed in Black," and "In Your Room." On the other hand, he will surprise you with his biblical knowledge in a song like "Breathe."

Depeche Mode is a very interesting band to listen to. ;)
Energy flows where attention goes ...
Rhianna

Postby Thaz » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:21 am

Rhianna wrote:Martin Gore writes most of the lyrics, and all
of the lyrics earlier on in the band's career. He is spiritual, no doubt about it. He's not necessarily religious, in a traditional sense.

I totally agree. I remember when 'Songs Of Faith And Devotion' was released, the natural assumption was that it would be a heavily religious themed album. In some ways it was, but as the band themselves pointed out, it was also a very ambiguous title. Faith in what?, Devotion to who? The terms 'Faith' and 'Devotion' have different meanings to different people. You can have faith or devotion to someone, or something, without having strong religious beliefs. I have always liked that ambiguity, so you can draw your own conclusions rather than being told the exact meaning of every song!
Thaz
DMMB Survivor

Postby Rhianna » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:54 am

Thaz wrote: Faith in what?, Devotion to who? The terms 'Faith' and 'Devotion' have different meanings to different people. You can have faith or devotion to someone, or something, without having strong religious beliefs. I have always liked that ambiguity, so you can draw your own conclusions rather than being told the exact meaning of every song!

Indeed. I wholeheartedly agree. :)
Rhianna

Postby intermode » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:37 am

Faith in love, Devotion to the one whom you love...I have no doubt whatsoever that the title has nothing to do with religion...
intermode

Postby Jordan Celkupa » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:17 pm

Rhianna wrote:Martin Gore writes most of the lyrics, and all
of the lyrics earlier on in the band's career. He likes/liked to toy with "darker" themes, like s&m, in certain songs like "Master and Servant," "Dressed in Black," and "In Your Room." ;)

In Your Room is about Gore's oldest daughter's nursery when she was a infant.
Jordan Celkupa

Postby Sr. Night » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:42 am

intermode wrote:Faith in love, Devotion to the one whom you love...I have no doubt whatsoever that the title has nothing to do with religion...

I assume Martin Gore is more well read in religious and spiritual topics than some people would believe. As Rhianna wrote, he knows his Bible.

Anyone who ever took an interest in mysticism can find lots of allusions. I don't want to qualify as Cpt. Obvious, but just think of I Feel Loved:

The first line It's the dark night of the soul is borrowing heavily from one of MLG's fellow poets. The 16th century Spanish mystic St John of the Cross wrote La noche oscura del alma (engl. The dark night of the soul) This poem has been very influential ever since and the phrase has found it's way into belles lettres as well as pop culture. But I Feel Loved indicates a more than superficial knowledge.

I wasn't surprised at all to find MLG interested in Daniel Ladinsky's poems (remember I have leared so much from God...).

BTW, just in case anyone is wondering... MLG's usage of religious topics or references to works of other authors does not automatically mean that he imports the religious contexts as well. As much as he may be indebted to St John of the Cross or Hafez, this does not mean that MLG's lyrics identify with a christian or islamic world view.
Thus, the famous quote faith in what, devotion to whom? makes perfect sense.

At least that's what I make of it. Maybe I should stop it. As MLG said: "You people think too much!" :D
Sr. Night
DMMB Member

Postby Rhianna » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:34 am

Jordan Celkupa wrote:In Your Room is about Gore's oldest daughter's nursery when she was a infant.

It very well could be. Who knows. Although, the way it was written was to incite other things, if that is the case.
Rhianna

Next

Return to Depeche Mode Related