The Sinclair ZX Spectrum

Topics not related to Depeche Mode.

The Sinclair ZX Spectrum

Postby EmpressTouch » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:26 am

One of my biggest regrets is letting go of my Sinclair ZX Spectrum +2, the grey, standard plastic-buttoned keyboard computer which enjoyed its' time in the 1980s.

Classics like Horace Goes Skiing and Molar Mouth came free with it, but boy weren't there some brilliant programs available at computer retailers around the country. Mine was an American Football game, another brilliant one was the rugby union game. I can still remember the catchy tune it played on the main menu!

The best Spectrum games of all-time

Postby Salila » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:37 am

: )))) yes, I had one (actually 2 at one point) when I was super small and, later, just small.. : ))) ..The hardware highlight was having heaps of cassettes in boxes.. your standard, ordinary cassette but actually I remember (thinking about it now) that there were, like, special 15min tapes especially made for Spectrum, green ones.. I can still remember the white screen at start up and a cursor blinking in the corner and I'd type : load " "
..and synch that with the tape and watch the screen start changing random colours till it settled with a poster pic of the game in the middle of the screen bordered with multicoloured stripes flickering up and down.. and a scratchy sound.. That keyboard with the rubber keys didn't last very long, my father repackaged the whole content into another keyboard he had later on in the years..
..I remember Horace Goes Skiing upon seeing the screenshot : )))) ..and Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy.. it feels kind of strange to see them.. like in a different lifetime.. I remember being puzzled by the Hobbit game.. was attracted to the mysteriousness of it but had not much of an idea what to do with it..
..We also had the Sinclair QL.. that one to me, back then, seemed like a space shuttle version of Spectrum with the tiny tapes which I loved so much to pull in and out of the keyboard..

Postby Stig Olsen » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:54 am

This is truly a thread for old people!

I didn't have one, but my friend did, and we spent hours typing in codes from magazines, which turned out to be horrible crap.

Of the most memorable games, I think 'Atic Atac' was the best.
Stig Olsen

Ex-Spectrum owner

Postby UselessAdvice » Fri May 04, 2012 2:15 pm

I only had a 16KB version, not the 48KB one.

I had a couple of games which were basically copies of the old arcade classics Space Invaders and Asteroids.

I remember the magazines full of code that you were supposed to type in!

I wrote my own pointless computer programs for the Spectrum, just to see if I could get them to work. One drew a picture of E.T. (The Extra Terrestrial) and then played the movie theme! Another was a database of all the players in my favorite football club (name, date of birth, etc.)

I gave one friend a copy of my programs on an old cassette and then a few weeks later I learned that other kids in my class had seen them as well. It turns out there was a bunch of kids who were obsessively collecting and swapping programs, which is kind of funny to think about. Like an early 1980s version of peer2peer file sharing! :cool:
:cool: Cool video & free download: Blind Side by Hybrid

Postby sinkhole8 » Mon May 21, 2012 5:14 am

Bah the BBC Micro was king ;)

I do have a ZX80 kicking around somewhere, 1k of RAM including the screen!

Did get a game published on the Beeb - Citadel 2 (lesser known sequel to Citadel) which was possibly the last game ever published for it. Elite, Exile and Repton were brilliant games (am working on a PC port of Exile in my spare time).

Return to Not DM Related