Chris Cornell RIP

Topics not related to Depeche Mode.

Chris Cornell RIP

Postby jackdaw » Thu May 18, 2017 5:29 am

Devastated by the news, and that's not a word I use lightly. Incredible singer and great frontman. Pretty sure Dave will be heartbroken at this. Another icon gone.
jackdaw
sort of read the F.A.Q.

Re: Chris Cornell RIP

Postby miss k bee » Thu May 18, 2017 6:36 am

Quite shocked and upset. Was lucky enough to see Soundgarden play Superunknown in full in Hyde Park a few years ago, was amazing live. RIP :(
miss k bee
DMMB Veteran

Postby blasko66 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:48 am

Crushing loss for music fans.
Had finally been able to see Soundgarden just last week. And I was lucky enough to see Chris on four separate solo tours as well as particularly fortunate to have been able to meet him. That encounter was one of my favorite life moments.
blasko66
sort of read the F.A.Q.

Postby Lady Vampy » Thu May 18, 2017 2:02 pm

Terrible loss. I just read that the cause of death is suicide by hanging, which is just an awful way to go. My heart breaks for his family and friends.
We sell hell... and suffer well
Lady Vampy
DMMB Veteran

Postby member » Fri May 19, 2017 4:27 am

It's always sad to hear about a wonderful musician going before his time. My heart goes out to all those who knew him.
DMMB Survivor

Postby Magpie » Fri May 19, 2017 1:58 pm

Depeche, Chris and Morrissey are my crutches. I couldn't go a day without listening to all three. And Chris has been my hero since I was twelve. I've spent most of yesterday and today sobbing. I feel much like Dave did when we lost Bowie: that my hero is gone.

Thanks for starting this thread Jackdaw. Up until today I had no idea how many Depeche fans liked Chris, too, and it's nice to know. Why would Dave be devastated, though, if you don't mind my asking? I've heard a few people say that now. I know they were both involved with MAP, but were they actually friends?
"To trust is to our peril, but to not is to be alone. And then ― oh, the silence . . ."
Magpie

Postby Lady Vampy » Fri May 19, 2017 2:19 pm

He was friends with the guys from Jane's Addiction and we know he liked Alice In Chains because there's a recording in Brat's radio archive of him singing his version of No Excuses. I suppose it's not too big a leap to assume he knew Chris too.
Lady Vampy
DMMB Veteran

Postby urbino » Sat May 20, 2017 2:56 am

RIP Chris
I am so sad about what happened.
Now there are only three amazing voices left.
I hope Dave, Martin and Eddie Vedder lives long and happy lifes.
urbino

Postby Magpie » Sat May 20, 2017 6:19 am

Lady Vampy wrote:He was friends with the guys from Jane's Addiction and we know he liked Alice In Chains because there's a recording in Brat's radio archive of him singing his version of No Excuses. I suppose it's not too big a leap to assume he knew Chris too.

I suppose everyone's a friend of a friend of a friend, somewhere along the line.
"To trust is to our peril, but to not is to be alone. And then ― oh, the silence . . ."
Magpie

Postby Lady Vampy » Sat May 20, 2017 2:57 pm

Magpie wrote:
Lady Vampy wrote:He was friends with the guys from Jane's Addiction and we know he liked Alice In Chains because there's a recording in Brat's radio archive of him singing his version of No Excuses. I suppose it's not too big a leap to assume he knew Chris too.

I suppose everyone's a friend of a friend of a friend, somewhere along the line.

I suppose. I used to know a guy from Seattle via an online game I used to play who had mutual friends with Layne Staley. He saw him only a few weeks before he died and said he was talking about getting clean and the new music he was making. I guess sometimes it only takes one horrifically shitty day.
Lady Vampy
DMMB Veteran

Next

Return to Not DM Related