What's your favourite artist (except DM) ?

Topics not related to Depeche Mode.

Re: What's your favourite artist (except DM) ?

Postby Magpie » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:35 pm

Lady Vampy wrote:
Magpie wrote:For me Depeche are tied with Chris Cornell. The way I explain it to people is Depeche Mode are my favourite band of all time, whereas Chris Cornell is my favourite artist of all time. :D That way, I don't have to pick because it's an impossible task for me. Having said that, I do listen to Depeche Mode every day, where I listen to Chris less frequently than I did when I was growing up.

Euphoria Morning is an absolute classic album.

Hey, sorry, Lady Vampy! I've only just seen this! It's incredible, isn't it? Do you have a favourite from it? And you know, you're actually the first I've encountered that likes both Depeche and Chris Cornell. :D Made my day.
"To trust is to our peril, but to not is to be alone. And then ― oh, the silence . . ."
Magpie

Postby Lady Vampy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:45 pm

Magpie wrote:
Lady Vampy wrote:
Magpie wrote:For me Depeche are tied with Chris Cornell. The way I explain it to people is Depeche Mode are my favourite band of all time, whereas Chris Cornell is my favourite artist of all time. :D That way, I don't have to pick because it's an impossible task for me. Having said that, I do listen to Depeche Mode every day, where I listen to Chris less frequently than I did when I was growing up.

Euphoria Morning is an absolute classic album.

Hey, sorry, Lady Vampy! I've only just seen this! It's incredible, isn't it? Do you have a favourite from it? And you know, you're actually the first I've encountered that likes both Depeche and Chris Cornell. :D Made my day.

Well I'm a metalhead at heart and got into Chris Cornell via Soundgarden. Sweet Euphoria, Follow My Way, and Preaching The End Of The World are probably my favourites. I have his second album too but only listened to it once or twice. Pleased to have made your day though.
We sell hell... and suffer well
Lady Vampy
DMMB Veteran

Postby Bookhouse_Boy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:25 am

Of all time? The Smiths. Currently (for the last 4 or so years), Future Islands. :D
Do you believe in Love? Hold your tongue.
Bookhouse_Boy

Postby Magpie » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:28 am

Lady Vampy wrote: Well I'm a metalhead at heart and got into Chris Cornell via Soundgarden. Sweet Euphoria, Follow My Way, and Preaching The End Of The World are probably my favourites. I have his second album too but only listened to it once or twice. Pleased to have made your day though.

You did :D Yeah, Soundgarden are great. I've followed Cornell's career through from when he was with them to Temple of the Dog and then to Audioslave. I do think Preaching The End of the World is probably in my top three all time favourite songs by him. It's nice to hear someone else likes it - it's usually quite overlooked. I'd maybe give his latest album a listen: 'Higher Truth'. It's similar to Euphoria Mourning and, in my opinion, better than 'Carry On' or 'Scream'.

Bookhouse_Boy wrote:Of all time? The Smiths. Currently (for the last 4 or so years), Future Islands. :D

Love the Smiths/Morrissey. :)
"To trust is to our peril, but to not is to be alone. And then ― oh, the silence . . ."
Magpie

Postby SunBurN » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:10 am

I always tell people my two favorite bands/musicians etc are DM and any of the bands led by Maynard James Keenan (TOOL, A Perfect Circle and Puscifer). MJK's vocals are completely on the opposite end of the spectrum but completely amazing in their own right. Actually some of the music from Puscifer's latest album "money shot" reminds me a lot of DM. Especially the songs Galileo and Agostina.

I love anything with Chris Cornell too..Soungarden, Audioslave, Temple of the dog and some of his solo work too. And as for Morrisey, I loved the Smiths and a lot of his solo work. Speaking of which, parts of So much love the new one from DM reminds me a lot of Morrissey's song, Irish Blood englis heart.
SunBurN

Postby Disease Shaker » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:46 am

ELBOW! New album "Little Fictions" is fantastic. I felt the last, "Take And Landing of Everything" was a bit lacking (except for "New York Morning" - absolutely gorgeous song), but they are back on track with Fictions. Goes back a little bit to their more alternative roots, while still being beautifully melodic.
Disease Shaker
DMMB Veteran

Postby SunBurN » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:30 am

Disease Shaker wrote:ELBOW! New album "Little Fictions" is fantastic. I felt the last, "Take And Landing of Everything" was a bit lacking (except for "New York Morning" - absolutely gorgeous song), but they are back on track with Fictions. Goes back a little bit to their more alternative roots, while still being beautifully melodic.

I checked out Elbow. Not bad. Giving it more of a listen as I'm working. Thanks for the recommendation :)
SunBurN

Postby Magpie » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:24 pm

SunBurN wrote:I always tell people my two favorite bands/musicians etc are DM and any of the bands led by Maynard James Keenan (TOOL, A Perfect Circle and Puscifer). MJK's vocals are completely on the opposite end of the spectrum but completely amazing in their own right. Actually some of the music from Puscifer's latest album "money shot" reminds me a lot of DM. Especially the songs Galileo and Agostina.

I love anything with Chris Cornell too..Soungarden, Audioslave, Temple of the dog and some of his solo work too. And as for Morrisey, I loved the Smiths and a lot of his solo work. Speaking of which, parts of So much love the new one from DM reminds me a lot of Morrissey's song, Irish Blood englis heart.

Well, someone's got excellent taste! I love A Perfect Circle and I don't mind a few songs by Tool. :D Not heard of Puscifer, though. I shall have to look them up. Thanks!

Yeah, I think Irish Blood, English Heart is similar, musically.
Morrissey and Depeche have also broached similar subjects quite a few times over the years, despite their vast lyrical differences in terms of how they approach things, don't you think? Makes sense, as I personally don't usually tend to listen to music unless I can relate to the lyrics.
Magpie

Postby SunBurN » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:17 pm

Magpie wrote:
SunBurN wrote:I always tell people my two favorite bands/musicians etc are DM and any of the bands led by Maynard James Keenan (TOOL, A Perfect Circle and Puscifer). MJK's vocals are completely on the opposite end of the spectrum but completely amazing in their own right. Actually some of the music from Puscifer's latest album "money shot" reminds me a lot of DM. Especially the songs Galileo and Agostina.

Well, someone's got excellent taste! I love A Perfect Circle and I don't mind a few songs by Tool. :D Not heard of Puscifer, though. I shall have to look them up. Thanks!

Yeah, I think Irish Blood, English Heart is similar, musically.
Morrissey and Depeche have also broached similar subjects quite a few times over the years, despite their vast lyrical differences in terms of how they approach things, don't you think? Makes sense, as I personally don't usually tend to listen to music unless I can relate to the lyrics.

Thanks. Well if you like APC, you'll probably love puscifer. MJK takes the opportunity to explore all kinds of sounds, music styles etc but I'd say Puscifer is closest in style to APC with occasional tool influences. Also, Carina rounds I'd the perfect compliment to his voice. You have 3 albums plus a few EPs to explore. I'd say start with the latest album "money shot" and work your way back. I'll be curious to hear what you think. Enjoy!
SunBurN

Postby Unpredictable-Then » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:50 am

A few of my favourite other artists are Gotye, Moby and Skyhill (a NYC downtempo duo featuring Leigh Daniel Avidan prior to his work in Ninja Sex Party and Game Grumps). All Depeche Mode inspired oddly enough! (I discovered them all prior to my Depeche Mode obsession.)
I'm also quite a big fan of Neil Cicierega's band/musical side-project Lemon Demon. His early stuff is low-fi TMBG-inspired indie rock that, as much as I love it, wasn't particularly astounding. However, he did put out a long-awaited synthpop album last year called Spirit Phone. I encourage as many people as possible to have a listen to it! It has a very eclectic sound and most of the tracks are themed on the supernatural. Other than Spirit Phone, in terms of more electronic music, he did put out a few comedy singles and a demonic Christmas-themed EP. Lemon Demon is mostly electronic anyway, it was just until 2008's View-Monster that it started to take prominence. Bandcamp Link, you can find most of the stuff I've mentioned over there.
Other than those, the other stuff I like isn't quite as similar: Talking Heads, The Avalanches, Bootsy Spankins P.I., Matt Berry, few others that I can't muster at the moment. I think I like The Cure, but the only album of theirs I've heard is Disintegration.
Unpredictable-Then

Previous

Return to Not DM Related