ALBUM#1: Speak & Spell

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Re: ALBUM#1: Speak & Spell

Postby DMmomma » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:09 am

Recently I was watching a DM documentary that got me in the mood to back and listen to Speak and Spell as an important part of DM history. Listening in this way, I realized that right from the start, all the DM ingredients were there. There are some eerie synths in Photographic. There are a couple songs about sex (albeit in a super awkward teenage approach). There is a Martin-sung song, Any Second Now. A couple of the songs were written by Martin right from the start. Martin always wanted to be a little different in the way he dressed, wearing a hat . DM grew up and their music has evolved as they did so, but all the pieces were there from the beginning.
DMmomma
sort of read the F.A.Q.

Postby My Secret Garden » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:15 pm

DMmomma wrote:Recently all the pieces were there from the beginning.

You are right. I've always disagreed with the idea of 2 different DM's - DM of Vince and DM of Martin. Of course they are two different personalities but driven by the same or similar ideas in music
My Secret Garden

Postby DMmomma » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:58 pm

My Secret Garden wrote:

You are right. I've always disagreed with the idea of 2 different DM's - DM of Vince and DM of Martin. Of course they are two different personalities but driven by the same or similar ideas in music

Haha! Look at the way you "quoted" me! How did that happen?
DMmomma
sort of read the F.A.Q.

Postby My Secret Garden » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:03 pm

DMmomma wrote:
My Secret Garden wrote:

Haha! Look at the way you "quoted" me! How did that happen?

Well... :confused: I don't know...
My Secret Garden

Postby DMmomma » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:01 pm

My Secret Garden wrote:
Well... :confused: I don't know...

Lol no worries! The important thing is we agree. :)
DMmomma
sort of read the F.A.Q.

Postby My Secret Garden » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:05 am

DMmomma wrote:
Lol no worries! The important thing is we agree. :)

Well, yes.
Sometimes I see Speak & Spell as a tiny acorn turned into a huge oak-tree of the DM's best albums. They look differently, an ignoramus might not see any connections between them, but we know no orange-trees or berks come out of acorns.
My Secret Garden

Postby Unpredictable-Then » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:50 am

This is a good album, but I feel a lot of the tracks lack substance. Vince Clarke really blossomed with Yaz(oo) and Erasure IMO.
I was quite surprised to find at first that What's Your Name? is often considered one of the worst Depeche Mode songs (and even by Fletch and Martin themselves). It's actually one of my favourite songs on the album, even if the lyrics are a tad silly!
Otherwise: New Life, I Sometimes Wish I Was Dead, Puppets, Big Muff, Any Second Now (Voices) and Just Can't Get Enough, Dreaming of Me if we're including the remastered edition. Photographic is good, but I personally prefer the Some Bizarre version: it sounds so radically different from a standard Depeche Mode song!
My least favourite track is probably Nodisco. Not really for the song itself, but it only makes me want to listen to Life During Wartime by Talking Heads whenever I hear the 'this ain't no disco' line.
Unpredictable-Then

Previous

Return to Depeche Mode Related