Spirit reviews

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Re: Spirit reviews

Postby THETRUTHIS » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:12 pm

SOTU generally gets lot of hate on this board. The only problem with it was quality control and and it left off the B sides that were better than some of the album tracks. Much of this can be blamed on Dave insisting that he get a 3-4 tracks per album. During SOTU he only had one track that was up to standard. Ironically his solo album released jut a year earlier contained Saw Something which is a brilliant track which he should have saved for DM. If SOTU is shortened and some of the Bsides added you get the best DM album since SOFAD.

My Sounds of The Universe:

In Chains
Wrong
Saw Something
Fragile Tension
Little Soul
Ghost
In Sympathy
Light
Come Back
Oh Well
Jezebel
Corrupt
THETRUTHIS
DMMB Veteran

Postby longtimefan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:42 pm

what a good record! i've had it on repeat in the car since friday. bonus tracks on the deluxe version are good--it's refreshing to hear remixes that aren't just EDM versions of the track.
longtimefan

Postby Shadowman82 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:20 pm

It's funny how some people say that if Spirit had been DM first album nobody would have bothered with them . Possible but I mean Speak and Spell was a pretty silly record for the most part . Many bubble gum pop songs , even Vince wrote better songs later . It's really their legacy from the mid 80s to the late 90s that keeps DM afloat not their debut album .

Anyway I'm torn between wether I like Spirit or PTA better . One one hand Spirit has better production but the PTA era has more uptempo songs .
Shadowman82
DMMB Elder

Postby Hydrology » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:53 pm

Ive warmed to some of the songs after repeated upon repeated listens (although the last few albums have been like this, and it shouldnt really be like this with DM and long time DM fans).

Ive purchased the vinyl (shame you cant order it with JUST the tracks you want!) and the digital 24bit download, but only the following tracks made it onto my music server:-

Going Backwards
Scum
You Move
Cover Me (good but NO NEED for the last two minutes of the song)
Poorman
Fail

The remixes are interesting, in some tracks the music sounds better than the album version.
For me, their weakest album to date. Even more hate for this than Exciter or SOTU. The excessive use of distortion on the vocals is a killer for me. It's unnecessary and unwanted. It doesn't add "urgency" or "power" to the vocals. As for Dave's songs, waste of time. All his songs within the DM framework sound the same, and these are no exception.
I traveled half-way round the world to see them live on the last tour, I wont be doing the same this time round.
Hydrology

Postby DjBR » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:17 pm

I rated the album 4/10 a few threads back. But to my surprise my wife enjoyed "You move". I think this is the worst track from the whole set. I think "The Worst Crime" comes in the wrong time, it should be left for the end of the album. "Cover me" is not that bad but... it is a progressive song that brings fatigue it is very close to Dave Gahan solo material (I like Dave's solos) but it shouldn't fit this album.

You know all this kind of problems are created by management. For example, they could have done the Bonus CD with:

1) You Move
2) Cover Me
3) Eternal
4 to 9) The Jungle Mixes.
10 to 11) Perhaps 2 WTR remixes!

And throw into the album, some gems that got kept by management. So that is why I hate management so much. They end up fucking things up.

Now that should have been interesting.

But for one thing I will tell you.
Even NINE INCH NAILS - HESITATION MARKS has more melodic music than this album. And NIN is known for being not very keen to eye candy melodies. Depeche Mode did an average album, strong message, some good tracks, but overall it's the most mono-note album ever made. And I believe it's not entirely the bands fault.
DjBR

Postby Hydrology » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:27 am

Poison Heart would've been an incredible song if they had used the music from the Tripped Mix and mixed it up a little bit. Likewise Scum - Frenetic Mix is much darker in tone than the album version.
Hydrology

Postby Hydrology » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:29 am

@DjBR,

Reznor is so prolific and yet nothing he has released has been "filler". Even with all the new music from him in its various guises in 2016, it was all incredibly and consistently good. Yet we get this band who have become a shadow of their former selves. Once cutting-edge, they are now the best DM cover band out there. Just watched the Berlin warm up gig - oh dear...
Hydrology

Postby noelmor » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:51 am

Listening to spirit all day long!

I love it, love it..
And each time more and more.
Finding out new favourites in each track.

My husband is not a DM fan, but is loving the album, too. Good signal!

My 10years old daughter loves You Move and Scum.

A great great great album.
noelmor

Postby ukozcd » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:43 am

hesitation marks - very average by NIN standards.
ukozcd

Postby ukozcd » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:44 am

Spirit

Nice on first listen, I enjoyed it much better than delta machine.

No stand out hit singles but only had 1 listen.
ukozcd

PreviousNext

Return to Depeche Mode Related