Spirit reviews

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Re: Spirit reviews

Postby noelmor » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:51 am

Review in El Pais of Uruguay, Southamerica

http://www.elpais.com.uy/divertite/musi ... onica.html
noelmor

Postby synthlove » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:16 am

ANDYCIBC wrote: I'm not expecting DM to create a masterpiece but Spirit just feels like a veteran actor mailing it in for the paycheck. It doesnt sit well with me because I know they are capable of much better. I've bought the album cuz it's DM, but if this wasn't a DM production, I wouldnt even have bothered listening after the first couple tracks. When I hear reveiwers come up with 'the sounds are better than the last 2 albums' ... to me that's pretty weak.

And this is the point/problem. Depeche Mode get a pass. I mean, they've earned a pass or two in their career. It's taking us 'force feeding' the album to ourselves to finally say it's good. "oh yeah, after the 17th listening, I'm finning warming up to Spirit..." I can say with certainty that if Spirit were DM's first album, most of us wouldn't have even boarded the train, so to speak...
synthlove

Postby Pelle d » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:48 am

Spirit is their best since Ultra for me! Maybe even as good as Ultra because we don't have any skip tracks like Uselink and Jazz Thieves.

It's a very complete and well produced album with many great songs!

PTA have two tracks I like better than all the Spirit tracks, Precious and Suffer Well, but then we have Macro, I want it all, Introspectre, Damaged People, The Darkest Star which I don't like at all!

Exiter is a real sleeping pill, SOTU has a couple of ok tracks and Delta Machine are little better but not as complete as Spirit!
Pelle d
DMMB Veteran

Postby nickynick » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:12 am

Pelle d wrote:Spirit is their best since Ultra for me! Maybe even as good as Ultra because we don't have any skip tracks like Uselink and Jazz Thieves.

It's a very complete and well produced album with many great songs!

PTA have two tracks I like better than all the Spirit tracks, Precious and Suffer Well, but then we have Macro, I want it all, Introspectre, Damaged People, The Darkest Star which I don't like at all!

Exiter is a real sleeping pill, SOTU has a couple of ok tracks and Delta Machine are little better but not as complete as Spirit!

I'm in agreement with you and I thought so too even after just 1 or 2 listens.
nickynick
ignoring the F.A.Q.

Postby Ultrastate » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:27 am

synthlove wrote:
ANDYCIBC wrote: I'm not expecting DM to create a masterpiece but Spirit just feels like a veteran actor mailing it in for the paycheck. It doesnt sit well with me because I know they are capable of much better. I've bought the album cuz it's DM, but if this wasn't a DM production, I wouldnt even have bothered listening after the first couple tracks. When I hear reveiwers come up with 'the sounds are better than the last 2 albums' ... to me that's pretty weak.

And this is the point/problem. Depeche Mode get a pass. I mean, they've earned a pass or two in their career. It's taking us 'force feeding' the album to ourselves to finally say it's good. "oh yeah, after the 17th listening, I'm finning warming up to Spirit..." I can say with certainty that if Spirit were DM's first album, most of us wouldn't have even boarded the train, so to speak...

Funny how the complete opposite views get posted after comments like this.
Ultrastate
DMMB Veteran

Postby dmkat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:34 pm

Long time fan coming out of the woodwork to post about the new album.

I'm quite pleased with Spirit. I avoided many of the interviews and reviews prior to it being released, and was very glad I did (it kind of ruined Delta Machine for me). Where's the Revolution was a great song to release as the first single, and sometime I can't get the bridge out of my head ("the training is coming... get on board...").

Cover Me stands out as my favorite of the album. I absolutely LOVE the atmosphere and music of the song. So Much Love, No More (This Is The Last Time), You Move, Scum, and Going Backwards also stood out for me. So Much Love is the typical DM fast-beat pop song, which is always the kind I treasure the most.

I find the musicality of the album much more reachable than Delta Machine. It has more of the layered keyboards that I'd missed (and loved from SOTU). I personally like the bluesy feel to several songs, like Poorman. And of course I love the lyrics. I feel like Martin, Dave, et al read my mind and where I feel this country has been going for a few years now.

All in all I think this is a great album. Can't wait to see them in September.
dmkat
DMMB Survivor

Postby Andromeda_16 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:08 pm

Longtime board member, sporadic poster, lost my account info so started afresh!

Spirit for me is VERY good - I like that it feels like a cohesive album from beginning to end.

Going Backwards: Very strong opener, nice groove, looking forward to hearing this live as the opener

Where's the Revolution: I'm probably in the minority but I LOVE this song. The extended bridge - the way it builds, the harmonies and melody, the crescendo - all DM magic imo. Best first single since 'Wrong' (probably in the minority with my affinity for that song as well)

The Worst Crime: A slow and moody burner that I've really come to appreciate. LOVE that you can hear Dave's vocals so clearly on this one (unlike some of the distorted vocals on other tracks)

Scum: My second favorite track - should be destined to be a single. Lots of energy, lots of interesting sounds... like everything but the distorted vocals. Could have been even better without it.

You Move: Probably my least favorite track on the album. The time signature 'hiccup' feels very unnatural, & the way the song seems to 'meander' and never build when the potential IS there feels like a missed opportunity. Sounds like a B-side to me.

Cover Me: Best DM track Dave has ever done imo (Sorry 'Suffer Well' fans). Vocals are smooth, the atmosphere is thick, and the outro (while I don't see it translating that well live without some serious embellishments) just takes me to a transcendent place.

Eternal: An 'ok' Martin track. I do like the retro vibe of it regarding the 'radiation' line.

Poison Heart: My second favorite track that Dave has ever written for DM. Does have a bit of Delta feel to it but I really like the harmonizing with Martin on it. Very nice bridge.

So Much Love: Has so much more potential. Could have been so much more layered and epic. I do like it but am hoping the live version amps it up a bit.

Poorman: This song isn't getting a lot of love on here but for me - I think it's one of the most quintessential 'DM' tracks on the album. I LOVE it! It sounds like an updated, older brother version of 'Pipeline' from the sounds to the similarities in lyrical content. Love the way it builds at the end. I definitely don't expect this to make the live set but would love to hear it - especially the ending.

No More (This is the last time): Meh... probably the one track that if I were to skip one upon listening to the album in its entirety, this would be it.

Fail: A solid ending song that feels like a nice bookend to the album. Martin's vocals sound earnest and heartfelt.

Overall - I like it a lot.
A strong effort that I put atop everything they've done since Ultra. If I had to rank the 'post SOFAD' albums they would go...
Ultra, Spirit, SOTU, PTA, Exciter, Delta M

I remember when I heard Ultra in its entirety - I was anticipating the same excitement and 'whoa' moments that pretty much all of the past five albums provided me (SGR, BC, MFTM, V, SOFAD)... but it didn't. It wasn't 'bad' by any means, but things had changed and it was apparent to me then that things would never go back to the way they were and I was ok with that.
Like many have said, DM provided the 'soundtrack of my life' throughout my adolescent years and in '97 it was time to grow up a bit. I was SO thankful that the band made it out of the trials and turmoil of the early to mid-90's that ANYTHING from then on was a complete and total gift. I have been able to see them live inordinately more times since before '93/'94 and every time has been incredible and special for me. Their live experience I feel has gotten better, their health (physical and mental) has gotten better (a true miracle) so I cannot complain really at all even if I feel like the new music 'isn't what it used to be'.
I'm older (44), and they are older - writing songs and creating music that they want to create on their terms and I cannot fault them for that. I'm so thankful that they are still relevant and have not become like a lot of other 80's (or 70's) bands that are just trying to ride on their past glories and are a shell of their former selves.

Every four years or so I get to relive a lot of good memories, experience the joy and anticipation of new music and a new album, and see my favorite band of all time live.
Andromeda_16

Postby violatore » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:58 pm

My review:

Going Backwards yes
Where's the Revolution yes
The Worst Crime yes
Scum yes
You Move yes
Cover Me yes
Eternal no
Poison Heart yes
So Much Love no
Poorman zzzzzzzzz
No More fine, but zzzzzz
Fail yes

Some of the yes tracks could have been better. The no tracks are not a disaster and the general sound and production have improved notoriously.
Solid album. Good lyrics. It produces some love and some zzzz in me. Much better in general tan Delta, but it had higher peaks.
violatore
DMMB Survivor

Postby maddog_uk_69 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:10 pm

I just came for the comedy outrage. Wasn't disappointed.
maddog_uk_69
DMMB Veteran

Postby THETRUTHIS » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:12 pm

SOTU generally gets lot of hate on this board. The only problem with it was quality control and and it left off the B sides that were better than some of the album tracks. Much of this can be blamed on Dave insisting that he get a 3-4 tracks per album. During SOTU he only had one track that was up to standard. Ironically his solo album released jut a year earlier contained Saw Something which is a brilliant track which he should have saved for DM. If SOTU is shortened and some of the Bsides added you get the best DM album since SOFAD.

My Sounds of The Universe:

In Chains
Wrong
Saw Something
Fragile Tension
Little Soul
Ghost
In Sympathy
Light
Come Back
Oh Well
Jezebel