Worst Set List In Years

Discuss the Global Spirit Tour here.

Moderators: Pelicanito, steventoo, Admin

Re: Worst Set List In Years

Postby Shadowman82 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:20 pm

It's one thing that they don't play allot of their 80s songs but why so few of the new album ? Because Dave thinks they don't work live ? So either write different songs or stop giving in to everything Dave wants . And I mean let's be honest if Alan can find a way to present his quirky Recoil stuff live then how can DM say that some of their songs don't work live ?
Shadowman82
DMMB Elder

Postby buckets of lube » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:15 am

Shadowman82 wrote:And I mean let's be honest if Alan can find a way to present his quirky Recoil stuff live then how can DM say that some of their songs don't work live ?

DM wants to keep playing large venues, so their idea of what works live is going to be related to that. Recoil probably plays basements for 400 people, where there are different standards to what "works".
buckets of lube
DMMB Veteran

Postby manuela » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:30 am

Believe it's not easy to make a setlist for a band playing since more than 30 years.
There will be always someone expecting songs that others don't like and viceversa.
The only song I would not have put is "a pain that I'm used to" and have a '80ies song instead like "People are people" either "master and servant".
The version of Personal Jesus of this tour was a surprise to me not only because they play it at the end of the show but because it is similar to the original version.
Very good idea to sing "Heroes" of David Bowie.
manuela
DMMB Veteran

Postby Shadowman82 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:44 pm

DM wants to keep playing large venues, so their idea of what works live is going to be related to that. Recoil probably plays basements for 400 people, where there are different standards to what "works

Yeah but there are many other older songs they never play that would work just fine live , heck some of them they have played live in the past , they just have not done so for a long time . Plus some songs from Spirit like "Scum" would work just fine live , there is no reason why that song could not work . I think people need to stop making excuses for DM in this matter . There is no other band I'm aware of who's live set list remain so damn similar from tour to tour .
Shadowman82
DMMB Elder

Postby Pipeline1972 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:44 am

ok. Where? Do you have a link? Thanks.[/quote]

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=38247&p=941817#p941817

As you can see, this has come up before and we thus know the reasons behind the setlist.[/quote]

"This time".. and "we tinkered with it.."

Come on, they've been playing the same songs since 94. To say it's all Dave's just based on one sentence from an interview is ridiculous. Why not blame it on Fletch whose head would explode if he had to learn to press a different key for a song they haven't played in years?

I'd agree that he wants to sing his "rock star" songs, after all he played them on his Soulsisters gig as well, but I doubt Martin and Fletch are pushing back hard against him.

Truth is we don't really knows what's being said in the studios. My guess is they all want to stay in their comfort zone.
Pipeline1972

Postby buckets of lube » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:02 am

Pipeline1972 wrote:ok. Where? Do you have a link? Thanks.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=38247&p=941817#p941817

As you can see, this has come up before and we thus know the reasons behind the setlist.[/quote]

"This time".. and "we tinkered with it.."

Come on, they've been playing the same songs since 94. To say it's all Dave's just based on one sentence from an interview is ridiculous. Why not blame it on Fletch whose head would explode if he had to learn to press a different key for a song they haven't played in years?

I'd agree that he wants to sing his "rock star" songs, after all he played them on his Soulsisters gig as well, but I doubt Martin and Fletch are pushing back hard against him.

Truth is we don't really knows what's being said in the studios. My guess is they all want to stay in their comfort zone.[/quote]

There's another interview somewhere this year from Dave where he states how he knows all about what makes a set work and what does not. Cannot be bothered to find it. But feel free to believe they are all equally responsible.
buckets of lube
DMMB Veteran

Postby Freestate147 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:59 am

Oh well. Even if DM don't change their songs very much for the rest of the tour, all of their shows are still awesome! Sure the setlists can get boring but it's not like they're playing horrible songs every night and all the songs they are playing are really good. I would like it if they changed their songs, but if they don't then I'm still happy.
Freestate147
ignoring the F.A.Q.

Postby Shadowman82 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:05 am

Sure they put on a good show . But that's like watching the same movie over and over again . Sure its still a good movie but the same one nevertheless . Plus if you bought that movie you only have to pay for it once , not like for concerts where you have to pay a fairly high ticket price every time .

I think of the three Martin would possibly be the one most open to having more different songs . He also seems to have no problems playing his slow songs , some of which Dave might think do not work well live . As for Fletch I think if Martin wanted something he'd go along with it . As for him having to learn new keys who knows if all of his synths are even working or if he just pretends to play .
Shadowman82
DMMB Elder

Previous

Return to Global Spirit Tour