Bad Sound Quality, Global Spirit Tour, Ljubljana, 2017-05-14

Discuss the Global Spirit Tour here.

Moderators: Pelicanito, steventoo, Admin

Bad Sound Quality, Global Spirit Tour, Ljubljana, 2017-05-14

Postby Krešo » Tue May 16, 2017 5:48 am

Hey all!
What's the reason for very poor sound quality. I've been in Ljubljana (Slovenia) on May 14th, 2017. and I have to say that, not being sound engineer and all, there's not everything in being loud! Next thing is the drummer. His drum set was too loud and specifically snare or one of his Toms were constantly overpowering the rest of sound image. There were times you can't recognize s**t from it all! And some sound (synth FX) played were unrecognizable.
Really?! I mean, the band like DM, that long performing on stage, in small or big venues, having entourage (I presume) and having tech people (I presume), and having a tone rehearsal before on actual stage in real venue (I presume) should all included know better!
It is NOT all in "mega-power-ultra-hard-loud" settings! Someone should know that! Right?
This is not bitching, this is constructive critique.
DM & crew - c'mon, make it better. Do something!

Yours truly,
Krešimir Bikić
Zagreb (Croatia)
Krešo

Re: Bad Sound Quality, Global Spirit Tour, Ljubljana, 2017-0

Postby Pilatos25 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:07 am

Yeah I have also noticed that in some songs the music is too loud and the voice can't be heard properly.
Pilatos25
ignoring the F.A.Q.

Postby Shadowman82 » Thu May 18, 2017 3:31 pm

I have only ever seen two DM concerts . One for the PTA Tour in Friedrichshafen Germany and one in Toronto for the SOTU Tour . The sound in Toronto was much much better than in Germany . Not sure if that has to do with the venue . The Germany show was just a hall where as the venue in Toronto was specifically built for concerts .
Shadowman82
DMMB Elder

Postby buckets of lube » Thu May 18, 2017 8:21 pm

Shadowman82 wrote:I have only ever seen two DM concerts . One for the PTA Tour in Friedrichshafen Germany and one in Toronto for the SOTU Tour . The sound in Toronto was much much better than in Germany . Not sure if that has to do with the venue . The Germany show was just a hall where as the venue in Toronto was specifically built for concerts .

Yup, this.

Multi-purpose entertainment facilities such as arenas will always have inferior acoustics. Covered soccer stadiums are even worse.
buckets of lube
DMMB Veteran

Postby Krešo » Fri May 19, 2017 2:54 am

First of all thnx to all of you guys for your replies!

Honestly, I expected more here especially from someone involved in actual happening in Ljubljana. I really don't know where exactly lies a problem. Is it a venue, a sound system, calibration of one, all together, neither of all mentioned... I'm not an expert in this field, just an observer. What I can tell you here, and that's a fact, is that the last time I saw DM live in concert was in Munich on Violator tour. Yes, I'm that old! Hehehehe... OK, no really, there was much better sound in Munich in 1990, October 17th. I was in a similar position in Olympia Halle and I was also browsing around to see and hear them from a different angles. Sound in Munich was much crispier and far better sound image. I know it's not fair comparing those two events - different times, different venue, different sound systems, all is (was) different. But, really, I know my way thru sound systems pretty much to say Munich was spot on!

Apparently, on their 2 previous tour stops in Zagreb, my hometown (2001, 2010), sound was also debatable. I can't say more than this. DM is rocking their "electronic" part and that's a fact. I mean they're rocking all together but here's a spot on sound system. If the drummer is just a gimmick or the audience is asking for it why not! But cook the sound for it! Why overdub the drummer's bass drum with an electro beat? Overlapping frequencies are the muthaf***! Isn't that so? Let the drummer fill in the gaps with the percs and that's it! Disconnect his foot pedal for the bass drum and that's that. Lower the drummer's output to the amps and to the sound system. I believe in a smaller club (a gig almost like accapela or "no electricity" gig) it will work always. It won't work everywhere. Why mess with good electro? Noooooo!!! And DM is a damn good electronic sound.

Hope I didn't strangle you all with this post.

Looking forward hearing (maybe) from someone involved hands-on on this Tour, this event and this topic.

Thnx in advance,

Peace!

Kreso
Krešo

Postby Jim » Fri May 19, 2017 8:09 pm

buckets of lube wrote:
Shadowman82 wrote:I have only ever seen two DM concerts . One for the PTA Tour in Friedrichshafen Germany and one in Toronto for the SOTU Tour . The sound in Toronto was much much better than in Germany . Not sure if that has to do with the venue . The Germany show was just a hall where as the venue in Toronto was specifically built for concerts .

Yup, this.

Multi-purpose entertainment facilities such as arenas will always have inferior acoustics. Covered soccer stadiums are even worse.

(((((buckets))))))

I'd like to see a lot more money and effort going into sound quality .. It doesn't have be this weak in stadiums . No doubt there are sweet spots in the venue and areas where it doesnt sound so good. My mind still goes back to seeing pink floyed live in wembly stadium in the 80's (terrible venue for sound) and yet it was crystal clear ...wonderful bass but zero distortion it was stunning. They had speakers all around the stadium.
Jim
DMMB Veteran

Postby Shadowman82 » Sun May 21, 2017 8:26 pm

Honestly I don't know what aside from venue the problem could be .
Shadowman82
DMMB Elder

Return to Global Spirit Tour