Quick Tips: (Updated March 21st, 2014)

Due to a shockingly high number of fake spam accounts flooding the new registrations, we have temporarily closed new registrations to the forum. We are working on a solution to block the spammers without having to block genuine registration requests.

PLEASE READ the "Quick Tips" thread on this forum before contacting the moderators or admin about any issues you might be having. You will find the Quick Tips answer a lot of questions (logging in, editing posts, et cetera). The web staff appreciate those who read before posting and emailing. Thank you!

Some important threads: Where did my account go? | Search Feature 101

A special note: If you are blatantly rude to people, don't be surprised when you are permanently banned. Be nice, or be gone.

Go Back   Depeche Mode Message Board > Depeche Mode > Depeche Mode Related

Depeche Mode Related Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Old 07-28-2003, 12:07 AM   #1
dmtv
ignoring the F.A.Q.

I am working on a tv program for VH1 called "Behind the Song: Enjoy the Silence". There are many interpretations of the song and I am curious to hear from the fans what you think the song is about? http://forums.depechemode.com/infopo...n_confused.gif
dmtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 01:32 AM   #2
pox09
Twisted Tortured Mess

Dmtv: if it helps:

Enjoy The Silence Analysis

http://forums.depechemode.com/infopo...icon_smile.gif
pox09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 04:28 AM   #3
OrochiSonic

you work for vh1? that's cool!
Old 07-28-2003, 05:26 AM   #4
radio1328
aka Omid

I think it means that after years of flaunting on stage in front of big, loud stacks of speakers, DM are going deaf. But they've made so much damn money and have so many adoring fans that the lack of hearing ability is worthwhile.

No, wait, it's about the deaf dude from the Who.
radio1328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 05:29 AM   #5
kkang
DMMB Survivor

Maybe it's just me, but I always thought that Enjoy the Silence was one of the more obvious songs of depeche.
kkang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 05:46 AM   #6
necroman

yeah...found it obvoius too

"don't say anything...it will ruin the moment"

It has a sense of urgency to it....like knowing things won't last as the way they're going, so you want to freeze time!

IMO
Old 07-28-2003, 07:04 AM   #7
ceruleansun
DMMB Survivor

love the song--wondering why VH1 all of a sudden cares http://forums.depechemode.com/infopo...n_confused.gif
ceruleansun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 10:32 AM   #8
strange little girl
DMMB Veteran

Someone once suggested to me that it was about a controlling lover who wants to seduce his partner. To keep her from questioning his actions and intentions he uses this song which on the surface seems nice but conceals malignant intentions.

I like ETS and don't necessarily agree with this interpretation but I have to admit I can find evidence to support it. Dave sings it in such a persuasive, lulling way that it's easy to imagine him as a smooth talking guy out for a one night stand with someone who wants more.

Personally I always thought it was funny how there's this guy singing about how he wants peace and quiet and is trying to convince his lover not to ruin the moment with words when he is in fact the one breaking the silence with his song.

My friend is teaching me sign language and whenever I want to practice I sign "enjoy the silence" to her.
strange little girl is offline   Reply With Quote