Quick Tips: (Updated March 21st, 2014)

Due to a shockingly high number of fake spam accounts flooding the new registrations, we have temporarily closed new registrations to the forum. We are working on a solution to block the spammers without having to block genuine registration requests.

PLEASE READ the "Quick Tips" thread on this forum before contacting the moderators or admin about any issues you might be having. You will find the Quick Tips answer a lot of questions (logging in, editing posts, et cetera). The web staff appreciate those who read before posting and emailing. Thank you!

Some important threads: Where did my account go? | Search Feature 101

A special note: If you are blatantly rude to people, don't be surprised when you are permanently banned. Be nice, or be gone.

Go Back   Depeche Mode Message Board > Depeche Mode > Depeche Mode Related

Depeche Mode Related Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:33 AM   #31
LostBoyInSpace
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
On their last tour documentary DM were saying how it's strange that theyre hotter now than in their youthful years. Well that's not true in the states. The Anel album and tour didn't sell as hot as Exciter in The US.

So now we've got SOTU. Not quite a traditional DM album with not many distinct hits. So far WIkipedia says it sold 80,000 in it's first week. Not so huge for a legendary groundbaking band. SO I want to know are they still hot in EUrope or are they waning in popularity like here in The States?
I don't think DM said they are "hotter" now than before. What they said was they are selling out bigger shows than before, and amassing a larger following. They seem to be gaining a bigger and bigger fan base over time, but it has nothing to do with hit singles or albums. And that is why they call themselves a "cult" band, in the same way The Greatful Dead is considered a "Cult" band.
LostBoyInSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:44 AM   #32
Katz
DMMB Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBoyInSpace View Post
..........They seem to be gaining a bigger and bigger fan base over time, but it has nothing to do with hit singles or albums. And that is why they call themselves a "cult" band, in the same way The Greatful Dead is considered a "Cult" band.

I think one reason why DM "seem to be gaining a bigger and bigger fan base over time" could be that alot of the original fans of the 80's have had children and some of those children have got into their parent's music (and alot of us do).

Therefore, DM's fan base is a much wider range age group from children to grand-parents now attending their concerts and buying/downloading their music. This wider range age-group is obviously adding to the increase number of fans.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:25 AM   #33
Faith
Get right with me

Yes, more now so than ever. SOTU is a beautiful album, I love it.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:36 AM   #34
DM_Fan
DMMB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ker View Post
" The Anel album and tour " Must have missed that one , not all it was cracked -up to be ?
PMSL at MattKers comment!!

In response to original q, DM would be averagely popular in Dublin, most of their concerts here are sellouts. U2 would probably have a bigger following
DM_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:06 AM   #35
depechemlover
VIOLATOR

Well for some people not me but some are always like whose Depeche Mode aren't they like an 80's band UHHH i get so mad. Yes there an 80's band but they never stopped making music. So for me there really popular to some others there not!
Old 05-28-2009, 03:42 PM   #36
Simplicitybest
Excitd,violtd,&Devtd

People getting in volved in the DM seen at this poit IMO are just Grnday excrement..

They have no idea of life in the so called space age..

Im getting angry..
PTA Atl 05
SOTU Atl 09
Simplicitybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:48 PM   #37
Pittsburgh86
Enjoying the Silence

It depends on which part of the world you are looking at...

According to a buddy of mine who was into DM during the Violator days, "you weren't cool unless you listened to DM". Evidently things started to fall apart because SOFAD was so different from Violator/MFTM, plus the events of 1995-1996 that we want to forget seemed to take a toll on the band and their popularity. However, they have released some big hits since then but I don't think a lot of people associate them with DM...a lot of people have heard Precious and don't immediately think it's the same guys who sang Personal Jesus. (In the other direction there are also a lot of people who don't associate People Are People with Enjoy the Silence).

In Europe they seem to be popular everywhere. I guess Europeans have better tastes than Americans, who take any commercialized blonde bimbo they can find and idolize her even if she sounds like she has a clothespin on her nose when singing.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:01 PM   #38
Simplicitybest
Excitd,violtd,&Devtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh86 View Post
It depends on which part of the world you are looking at...

According to a buddy of mine who was into DM during the Violator days, "you weren't cool unless you listened to DM". Evidently things started to fall apart because SOFAD was so different from Violator/MFTM, plus the events of 1995-1996 that we want to forget seemed to take a toll on the band and their popularity. However, they have released some big hits since then but I don't think a lot of people associate them with DM...a lot of people have heard Precious and don't immediately think it's the same guys who sang Personal Jesus. (In the other direction there are also a lot of people who don't associate People Are People with Enjoy the Silence).

In Europe they seem to be popular everywhere. I guess Europeans have better tastes than Americans, who take any commercialized blonde bimbo they can find and idolize her even if she sounds like she has a clothespin on her nose when singing.

You hit the nail on the head.. EUROPE has much better taste IMO about Music..

in the US is so American Idol I just wann VOMIT!!@!!-+';{]\/>
PTA Atl 05
SOTU Atl 09
Simplicitybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:33 PM   #39
Feligres
Majestic Mode

After all the things that have been happening I give a fuck if people consider DM popular or not....I just like them.....
Old 05-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #40
nertiacrep
lie to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicitybest View Post
People getting in volved in the DM seen at this poit IMO are just Grnday excrement..

They have no idea of life in the so called space age..

Im getting angry..
So where would their fan base be if all the "Green Day excrement" didn't exist? Personally, I got really into DM when I was 16 (in 1996) so I guess I can be considered part of that excrement. Most of my fellow DM friends are also around my age. As are many of our fellow DMMBers.

I'm not going to get into the argument about older fans are better etc. etc. because that's not the point of this thread. The point of this thread is "Are DM still popular?"
nertiacrep is offline   Reply With Quote