Quick Tips: (Updated March 21st, 2014)

Due to a shockingly high number of fake spam accounts flooding the new registrations, we have temporarily closed new registrations to the forum. We are working on a solution to block the spammers without having to block genuine registration requests.

PLEASE READ the "Quick Tips" thread on this forum before contacting the moderators or admin about any issues you might be having. You will find the Quick Tips answer a lot of questions (logging in, editing posts, et cetera). The web staff appreciate those who read before posting and emailing. Thank you!

Some important threads: Where did my account go? | Search Feature 101

A special note: If you are blatantly rude to people, don't be surprised when you are permanently banned. Be nice, or be gone.

Go Back   Depeche Mode Message Board > Depeche Mode > Not DM Related

Not DM Related Topics not related to Depeche Mode.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
tex
DMMB Survivor

Default Sadman

According to Side-Line, Sadman will release their third album in early 2013. Sadman is an electronic duo from Sweden, and they're huge fans of DM and of Radiohead, which could explain why their new album is entitled "King of A" (Radiohead has albums called "Kid A" and "King of Limbs").

I think that their debut album, "Cold In The State Of Me," is a very solid debut album, and it contains one of the best electronic songs released in the last five years or so, in my opinion.

Here's the video for the song, "Cold In The State Of Me." I simply love this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7ktpqd4WVA
tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:49 AM   #2
DMMB Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
According to Side-Line, Sadman will release their third album in early 2013. Sadman is an electronic duo from Sweden, and they're huge fans of DM and of Radiohead, which could explain why their new album is entitled "King of A" (Radiohead has albums called "Kid A" and "King of Limbs").

I think that their debut album, "Cold In The State Of Me," is a very solid debut album, and it contains one of the best electronic songs released in the last five years or so, in my opinion.

Here's the video for the song, "Cold In The State Of Me." I simply love this song.

The song is pretty good. I thought they would be signing in their native language nice surprise that they were singing in English. The song reminds me of Coldplay.
member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
MaxMode
DMMB Survivor

Quote:

I love Sadman debut album "Cold In The State Of Me" and I think they're a great electropop act with a lot potential but I was very disappointed with the follow up "9th And Last Life.

Hopefully their new effort will be catchier and more memorable thant their last one.
MaxMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
tex
DMMB Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by member View Post
The song is pretty good. I thought they would be signing in their native language nice surprise that they were singing in English. The song reminds me of Coldplay.
Many Swedish bands, like Kent and Sista Mannen På Jorden, do sing in their native tongue, but quite a few Swedish bands sing in English, much like ABBA did. I'm glad that you enjoyed the song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxMode View Post
I love Sadman debut album "Cold In The State Of Me" and I think they're a great electropop act with a lot potential but I was very disappointed with the follow up "9th And Last Life.

Hopefully their new effort will be catchier and more memorable thant their last one.
I agree that "9th And Last Life" was a bit of a disappointment. It's a hit and miss album for me. I enjoy "9th", "I Hide," and "Wolves" quite a lot. However, "Cold In The State Of me" definitely was a tough act to follow. As you said, they have a lot of potential. So, I'll buy definitely buy "King of A" to see if they can untap that potential again.

Speaking of which, this Side-Line link has a video which contains samples from the new album, but I'll just wait to get the new album to hear the new songs.

http://www.side-line.com/news_commen...=47939_0_2_0_C

Do you think that Mattias looks a bit like Simon Cowell? :0)
Old 06-07-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
intermode
Never want to come down..

Interesting...Sweden has become a bit of a force to be reckoned with in electro inspired pop in recent years... The Knife and Robyn both do it for me big time...was anyone else majorly disappointed ( tanjent I know ) with the last Coventry album?!!!
intermode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
tex
DMMB Survivor

I wish that Chengdu still posted here. He is Swedish and knows quite a bit about Swedish electro music. He and I talked about a few Swedish electro bands in the past.

I listen to several Swedish electro bands, like Backlash (their Heliotrope album is one of my favorite modern electro CDs), S.P.O.C.K, Code 64, Necro Facility, Lowe, Gentle Touch (beautiful mix of synths and guitars), Colony 5, Biomekkanik (S.P.O.C.K side project), and Aaron Sutcliffe (Covenant/S.P.O.C.K side project).

I'm not for sure if you meant Covenant instead of Coventry. If you meant Covenant, I like Modern Ruin a lot. The only song that I don't care for at all is The Night. I love the robotic vocals in the opening track, and Lightbringer is awesome. I discovered Necro Facility from that song. I had heard about them before, but I never bothered to check out some of their stuff online. Because I really liked Henrik's vocals in Lightbringer, I took a chance on their brand new album that was released a few months after Modern Ruin, and I like it a lot. Kairos is short but so hauntingly beautiful. The Road is a great album closer, and I could easily picture the movie, The Road, in this song.

Also, I like what Daniel Myer did for his three songs on Modern Ruin. Well, I'm not a huge fan of Dynamo Clock, but Beauty and the Grace and Worlds Collide are awesome.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
MaxMode
DMMB Survivor

Quote:
I wish that Chengdu still posted here. He is Swedish and knows quite a bit about Swedish electro music. He and I talked about a few Swedish electro bands in the past.

I listen to several Swedish electro bands, like Backlash (their Heliotrope album is one of my favorite modern electro CDs), S.P.O.C.K, Code 64, Necro Facility, Lowe, Gentle Touch (beautiful mix of synths and guitars), Colony 5, Biomekkanik (S.P.O.C.K side project), and Aaron Sutcliffe (Covenant/S.P.O.C.K side project).

I'm not for sure if you meant Covenant instead of Coventry. If you meant Covenant, I like Modern Ruin a lot. The only song that I don't care for at all is The Night. I love the robotic vocals in the opening track, and Lightbringer is awesome. I discovered Necro Facility from that song. I had heard about them before, but I never bothered to check out some of their stuff online. Because I really liked Henrik's vocals in Lightbringer, I took a chance on their brand new album that was released a few months after Modern Ruin, and I like it a lot. Kairos is short but so hauntingly beautiful. The Road is a great album closer, and I could easily picture the movie, The Road, in this song.

Also, I like what Daniel Myer did for his three songs on Modern Ruin. Well, I'm not a huge fan of Dynamo Clock, but Beauty and the Grace and Worlds Collide are awesome.
tex is good that you mentioned Covenant, I used to be a big fan of their early work until "United States Of Minds" their last great album in my opinion but sadly after that album I didn't care much about them except for a few of their latest tracks which includes "Lightbringer" of course.

I think I was a little put off by some of the Modern Ruins's bad reviews but now based on your good comments I think I should give that album a chance and I'll check Necro Facility's work too.
MaxMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #8
intermode

Yeah, of course I meant Covenant..another long day/late night I'm going to give Modern Ruin another chance now...I just felt something was missing..I did like Skyshaper a lot..especially The Men, a track some might find simple, but which I find grand and love to bits...Chengdu would probably cringe, depending on his age, but I still love an album called Cutting Corners from about 1981/82 by Swedish band Secret Service..his parents probably own it ha ha
Old 06-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
tex
DMMB Survivor

Max, USOM is my favorite Covenant album. It's great from start to finish, but I really do enjoy their subsequent album releases. Northern Lights, Skyshaper, and Modern Ruin are all solid albums, but each of these albums has one or two tracks that I really don't care for that much.

Like intermode mentioned, The Men is one bad ass song from Skyshaper. That song is full of drive and energy. I guess that some may consider the song to be simple for its lyrics. There are only a few lines that are repeated a few times, but I love how Eskil sings those lines, especially how it goes from the deeper notes to the higher notes.

Another of my favorite songs from Skyshaper is "Happy Man." The Moog in that song is awesome. It's so robotic and futuristic. Like "The Men," there aren't many lyrical lines in "Happy Man." Yet, I love Eskil's sullen vocals contrasted against the more upbeat music.

Intermode, I remember you posting a thread about Secret Service, but I never got around to checking out their music. I had never heard of that band. I need to listen to their music soon.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:02 AM   #10
intermode

There goes all my credibility...Secret Servive were very popular in Germany, especially the song Ye-si-ca. They were pure pop though...on Cutting Corners they incorperated some electronics and it became a fave of mine...though its really a time and place type thing..memories and stuff, growing up...doubt you,d find anything appealing about it. Happy to report that for the first time since I bought it Modern Ruin actually made an impression on me and I'm starting to enjoy it...