Quick Tips: (Updated March 21st, 2014)

Due to a shockingly high number of fake spam accounts flooding the new registrations, we have temporarily closed new registrations to the forum. We are working on a solution to block the spammers without having to block genuine registration requests.

PLEASE READ the "Quick Tips" thread on this forum before contacting the moderators or admin about any issues you might be having. You will find the Quick Tips answer a lot of questions (logging in, editing posts, et cetera). The web staff appreciate those who read before posting and emailing. Thank you!

Some important threads: Where did my account go? | Search Feature 101

A special note: If you are blatantly rude to people, don't be surprised when you are permanently banned. Be nice, or be gone.

Go Back   Depeche Mode Message Board > Depeche Mode > Depeche Mode Related

Depeche Mode Related Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:36 AM   #11
Rhianna
Moon Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Night View Post
I assume Martin Gore is more well read in religious and spiritual topics than some people would believe. As Rhianna wrote, he knows his Bible.

Anyone who ever took an interest in mysticism can find lots of allusions. I don't want to qualify as Cpt. Obvious, but just think of I Feel Loved:

The first line It's the dark night of the soul is borrowing heavily from one of MLG's fellow poets. The 16th century Spanish mystic St John of the Cross wrote La noche oscura del alma (engl. The dark night of the soul) This poem has been very influential ever since and the phrase has found it's way into belles lettres as well as pop culture. But I Feel Loved indicates a more than superficial knowledge.

I wasn't surprised at all to find MLG interested in Daniel Ladinsky's poems (remember I have leared so much from God...).

BTW, just in case anyone is wondering... MLG's usage of religious topics or references to works of other authors does not automatically mean that he imports the religious contexts as well. As much as he may be indebted to St John of the Cross or Hafez, this does not mean that MLG's lyrics identify with a christian or islamic world view.
Thus, the famous quote faith in what, devotion to whom? makes perfect sense.

At least that's what I make of it. Maybe I should stop it. As MLG said: "You people think too much!"

I spoke about St John of the Cross and the dark night of the soul some time back. It's nice to know someone else *gets it* the way I do.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #12
DMMB Veteran

Well, thanks for the information. I am not one of those people that tries to read some special meaning into every lyric of a song. A lot of pop songs seem to have that sort of ambiguity so that you can draw your own interpretations. Another group I like U2 seems to do the same thing. It was just that there was so much of it-the spiritual stuff-that it made me wonder. I'm not a Bible-thumper and really don't even listen to Christian music anymore because it is too political and off-base, as far as what the artist themselves value. This is why I was asking about DM. There music has a general sort of spiritality and that's cool that MLG is inspired by other poets. I think he is a genius, and I honestly do not think that about most people in popular music-not like my opinion matters anyway. (Apologies for the book-like reply.)
member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:42 AM   #13
Thaz
DMMB Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by member View Post
Well, thanks for the information. I am not one of those people that tries to read some special meaning into every lyric of a song. A lot of pop songs seem to have that sort of ambiguity so that you can draw your own interpretations. Another group I like U2 seems to do the same thing. This is why I was asking about DM. There music has a general sort of spiritality and that's cool that MLG is inspired by other poets. I think he is a genius, and I honestly do not think that about most people in popular music-not like my opinion matters anyway. (Apologies for the book-like reply.)
I agree with your comments. U2 are my second favourite band, but of course nothing comes close to DM! Oh, and of course your opinion matters! That is what the forum is all about, sharing your thoughts and feelings with others. That doesn't mean that we ALWAYS have to agree with each other, though!!
Thaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:05 AM   #14
DMMB Veteran

Default Thanks for the replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaz View Post
I agree with your comments. U2 are my second favourite band, but of course nothing comes close to DM! Oh, and of course your opinion matters! That is what the forum is all about, sharing your thoughts and feelings with others. That doesn't mean that we ALWAYS have to agree with each other, though!!

Well, thanks. I just meant that I am not some major critic like someone at Rolling Stone or something like that, but you're right. Everyone's opinion matters. Thank you everyone for the replies.
member is offline   Reply With Quote